HISTORY OF JINNAH POSTGRADUATE MEDICAL CENTRE
The journey of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) started in 1930 in Medical Corps Hospital, meant for medical aid to military personnel exclusively. In 1942 it was re-named as the British General Hospital and remained as such till 1947; a 100 bedded hospital with all basic necessary facilities.
After the creation of Pakistan in 1947, the father of the nation, Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah was requested to grant approval to lend his name to the hospital, which he graciously accorded, with the condition that it be opened for the public. Thus the Medical Corps Hospital/British General Hospital was named as Jinnah Central Hospital (JCH).
Being the capital city of Pakistan at that time, Karachi became home to thousands of Federal Government employees, who settled here along with their families. The Government of Pakistan decided to establish JCH as a well equipped hospital to cater for their medical needs, as the existing Civil Hospital was inadequate for this purpose.
In 1952, Dow Medical College (DMC) was attached with JCH. In August 1954 the National Assembly of Pakistan authorized the Basic Medical Sciences Institute (BMSI), as basic sciences education was deemed crucial to establishing a centre for higher medical education. After its initial establishment at DMC, Karachi, the Government of Pakistan changed the site for the development of BMSI to a building situated at the site of JCH. The Indiana University with its staff embarked on the establishment of BMSI, headed by Dr. Paul A. Nicoll, Prof. of Physiology who deserves major credit for accomplishment of this assignment. He was ably assisted by Dr. Osgood D Priddle, Prof. of Pharmacology and Dr. Rolla N. Harger, Prof. of Biochemistry. The BMSI with six departments and laboratories, including Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology and Physiology, was thus established as the most updated medical institution of its time. The official opening ceremony was held on 11th April, 1959. Speakers on this occasion were the President of Pakistan, General Muhammad Ayub Khan, President of Indiana University, Dr. Harman B. Wells and Director General Health, Col. M. Jaffer.
The opening ceremony was a grand affair. The first class of students was inducted on 1st June, 1959. In 1963, the amalgamation of BMSI and all units of JCH led to the creation of JPMC with the combined administration headed by a Director.
JPMC, thus established, comprised of a cluster of buildings spread over 148 acres. The prime purpose of this institution, in addition to treating patients, became higher medical education, training and research. Thereafter, with the passage of time, more buildings were constructed to cater to the growing needs of various evolving specialties. It can now proudly claim to be the biggest and the best equipped public sector hospital in Pakistan, employing highly qualified staff in numerous specialties, ready to render quality health care services to the ailing. In the process, JPMC also imparts high quality training to medical graduates, nurses and technicians and undertakes meaningful research in clinical and basic medical sciences.